A Worcester law firm has donated new training equipment to help support and develop the next generation of rowers at King’s School Worcester Boat Club.
MFG Solicitors, who are into the fifth year of their affiliation with the club, have donated essential rowing equipment, training jackets and t-shirts for the club’s coaches, rowers and pupils.
The Tything-based firm’s donation comes as the club prepares to unveil their new £2.5m boathouse later this month – a new facility which will provide storage, changing facilities and a state-of-the-art fitness centre. The building will also house a modern conference facility and function room.
Iain Morrison, partner at MFG Solicitors said: “We have been long-term supporters of the club and hope that with the best equipment and facilities available, King’s School will be able to help involve more youngsters with the sport and perhaps launch the careers of future Olympians.
“The Olympics arrive in London this summer and that will bring an intense spotlight on rowing due to past successes. It’s a sport which is thriving so we’re naturally delighted to play a role in developing young rowers in Worcestershire.”
Commenting on the imminent launch of the club’s new boathouse, Mr Morrison added: “It’s a massive year for the club. The opening of the new boathouse is a landmark in the club’s history but also a significant piece of investment into Worcester. It promises to be a superb centre of excellence and a complex which can be enjoyed by people across the city and beyond.”
Jim Chalmers, head of rowing at King’s School Boat Club, commented: “The great support MFG Solicitors has given over the years has helped our coaches and pupils have access to the best training and racing equipment available. It’s a relationship we hope will last for many years to come and on behalf of everyone involved with the club, I’d like to thank the firm once again for their support.”
The boathouse, which will be opened on 28th April, is named after businessman Michael Baker, a former pupil who generously donated the funds to cover the two-year build of the new complex. Mr Baker was a pupil at Kings between 1948 and 1955.