On 26th July 2017, the Supreme Court declared that fees in the Employment Tribunal were unlawful. This was a momentous decision and is without doubt the most significant employment case for many years, because of the impact it will have on virtually every aspect of employment law.
As a result of this decision, individuals and companies who paid Employment Tribunal fees are entitled to be reimbursed. Initially estimates indicate that the reimbursement of Employment Tribunal fees is approximately £33 million.
The Government have also confirmed that eligible applicants will also be entitled to receive interest at the rate of 0.5% on their reimbursed Employment Tribunal fees, calculated from the date of the original payment up until the refund date.
Applications for reimbursement are welcomed by anyone who:
- paid the fees and submitted a claim;
- paid the fees for someone else to make a claim; or
- if the Tribunal ordered you to pay the fees for someone who brought a claim against you.
You can apply by any of the following methods:
- online at www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals/refund-tribunal-fees;
- sending a completed form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- sending a completed form by post to Employment Tribunal – England and Wales, Customer Contact Centre, PO Box 10218, Leicester, LE1 8EG.
If you require any advice or assistance with the recovery of your Employment Tribunal fees, or would like further information about the above, please do not hesitate to contact Sally Morris at email@example.com or on 01905 610410.