Employment Law

Unlawful deductions from wages

From time to time your employer might not pay you the money you are owed such as wages, or a bonus and/or commission payment.

If you are not able to persuade your employer to pay the money owed, you have the right to take them to an Employment Tribunal or County Court.

You do not need to have left work to bring a claim for unpaid wages but the rules on what you can claim and how far your claim can backdated are complicated. The amount of time you have before you must issue your claim will differ depending on what you are claiming for, and whether your claim is in an Employment Tribunal or County Court.